Tuesday, March 08, 2005

This blog is barely off the ground and I've already let it fall into disrepair. It's still very much a work in progress, just sitting here, waiting for me to get my shit together. Part of the reason I haven't been updating very much is that the kitchen is in a little lull right now. We are very slow due to the time of year, and we are also in between seasons. Winter is going out, spring is coming in. Spring is my favorite time to be in a kitchen, with summer coming in a close second. Spring is bursting with produce - squash blossoms, asparagus, starting white and turning to green, ramps, sweet little English peas, fava beans, morel mushrooms - all kinds of great stuff. Out goes all the heavy, braised dishes, and in comes all kinds of fresh, light, colorful things. But that is all still about three or four weeks away. For now we are still dealing with the dregs of winter, and the dregs of the winter menu. That, combined with the fact that we've been running the same prawn special for three weeks has made me a bit inactive. But I will be better. Soon.