Saturday, February 05, 2005


Bienvenido. Posted by Hello

This blog has been a long time in the works. I've had the idea and the URL for about a year now, but somehow I've never gotten around to making it a reality. I've actually written this entry about four or five times, but never with satisfactory results; the post always gets deleted, and the blog lapses back into neglect. But not today. If I can just get this introductory bullshit out of the way once and for all, I can finally get this project off the ground. So here goes.

I love my job. It says in the blog description that I'm a line cook, but I don't think that's exactly correct. I do cook for a living, and I do cook on the hot line, but I've been cooking for six years now and am currently one of the lead cooks at an upscale French place, so please allow me the vanity of thinking of myself as a "professional cook." And I love it.

I can't explain to you the nerdy thrill I get from butchering a perfect, big, fat, glistening red tuna loin. How exciting it is when we get to play with obscure, esoteric produce like beautiful white Cloud 9 eggplants or frizzy, magenta micro beets. How much I love to clean wild mushrooms. (I love it so much that I've gotten into minor arguements with one of the sous chefs over who gets to clean them.) Sure, the job has it's downsides - annoying hours, sore feet, "kitchen pain" - i.e. everything from your lower back on down hurts more or less all the time, the possibility of getting cut or burned all the time if you're not careful - but on the other hand, when a lot of people are sitting in a cubicle staring at a computer screen, I'm butter-braising root vegetables and talking shit about who's going to win the SuperBowl. It's not a bad gig.

So why this blog? It will help me keep track of the food I get to work with, the specials we run at work, shit like that. I'll learn more and understand more if I have to write about stuff. And I'm just obsessed with my profession. (I'm also obsessed with baseball and the Boston Red Sox, but I already have a blog about that.)

I would write more, but I have to go to work early to help Jonathan braise a pork belly. But there. That's the introduction. I can consider it done and over with. I'm posting.